Saturday 10 November 2007

The Breeze Blows West

It has been almost two months since I arrived here in Cardiff, Wales and I would still pause sometimes and ask myself, "What am I doing here?" A small university town (it's the capital city of Wales), Cardiff is so much like Baguio - small, friendly, charming. Except for the more challenging part of getting used to British and Welsh accents, I'm taking in all these rather new experience like an eight-year-old about to fly a kite for the first time. I'm somewhat anxious yet excited, a bit timid but determined.



Cardiff University's main building


Now that I'm here, I guess I won't be able to write much about my main interests, Cordi people and culture. Ironically, it's because of these same interests that I'm here - to research on ethnicity and identity in the media. Amusing, huh?

But I'd certainly try to write about fellow Pinoys who are working and studying here. I've already met some of them and I was deeply touched by their warmth and hospitality. Iba pa rin ang Pinoy:-)

So I guess this blog will take on a different flavor for the coming several months. I hope to chronicle new learnings, fresh perspectives and interesting characters in my new adventure. So little time, so much to learn:-) I fully agree with the following quote:

What is important is to keep learning, to enjoy challenge, and to tolerate ambiguity. In the end there are no certain answers.

Martina Horner, President of Radcliffe College

7 comments:

admindude said...

Good that you have fellow Pinoys there. Looking forward to reading your Cardiff adventures :-)

Bugan said...

Hi Bill,

Oo nga. It still feels good to have someone you can talk with in your own language and who shares your own frame of reference about the world:-)

Thanks for dropping by!

Anonymous said...

hey.. when will we get the chance to take photos infront of bute? The weather is just envious of us! Maybe we should buy those sun lamps so that we'll get more light! haha

Bugan said...

Hi Tun!

Right, I'll bring my digicam tomorrow and make sure we get to have our photo taken in front of Bute. Checked the weather forecast and it says it's going to be sunny tomorrow!:-) No need for the sun lamps, I guess. Hahaha!

ellenmayjoyceasacla said...

Enjoy your stay there! Hope to hear from your adventure updates soon.

Bugan said...

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for dropping by. Naku, madami akong misadventures dito. Haha. Nakakahiyang ikwento;-) But I'll try to write about them in the coming days. Ingat!:-)

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.