Sunday 27 April 2008

UK-style U-kay

UK? United Kingdom. At U-kay:-)

Car boot sale ang tawag nila sa ukayan dito. Apart from the usual charity shops where you can buy used items, one of the more popular destinations for bargain hunters are car boot sales, the 'British form of market' where people sell both used and new items from the 'boot' ('trunk' in the US) of their cars.

Yesterday, with the perfect weather (16 C) on our side, my flatmate and I went to Grangetown where the biggest carboot sale in Cardiff takes place. You can find all sorts of interesting items, from this cute personal 'Playboy' water dispenser



to this assortment of saws



yes, even antique radios and a camera!



And one seemingly happy bargain-hunter checking a piece of linen.



The place was packed with people at 11 in the morning it was so much like our very own tiangges. British couples with their babies in carriers, Indians and Pakistanis, Africans, Malaysians - you can find all sorts of people haggling, turning over items, or just eyeing some interesting item.

Although tired from all the walking, I went home happily with my £20 used bike purchase.

6 comments:

ellenmayjoyceasacla said...

That's good for you. Want to see you on your bike one day.uu

I like the antique cam and radio.

Hope Pinoys are all doing well there.

i am me said...

hey liz, when will you 'graduate' from your biking lesson? can't wait to celebrate one of your 2008's resolution!

Bugan said...

Hi Ellen,

Musta? Haha! Yes, I'd take a photo of it tomorrow when I go practising. Yeah, there are a lot of interesting stuff to see at a car boot sale. Nakakaaliw.

There are many Pinoys here, including two friends from Benguet. But except for them and the few Pinoy students in the uni, I don't get to mingle with other Pinoys. I hope I get to know more though in the coming months:-)

Ingats!

Hi Tun!

Hey, I've finally learned how to go off by myself! Did it last Sunday at Bute Park! I was ecstatic:-) I felt so fulfilled. I guess old dogs can still learn a few tricks, like riding the bike. Haha!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Agree with Ellen, you should have a picture of you and your new/old bike.

That would be like P1,200 ano?

Anonymous said...

Sounded fun! :)

Bugan said...

Hi Bill,

Yeah, got a photo of myself and my rusty bike in my other blog. Hehe. It's around P1.5-1.6k ata:-)

Hello Layad,

It was fun! I enjoyed just looking at all those antique and antique-looking jewelry, clocks, radios, TV, etc. You realize people accumulate so much stuff and these just go around - other people buy them and then later on sell them again. These days, boot sales are very popular because people want cheap items. I guess everyone's affected by the credit crunch:-(